Monday 25 August 2014

Day 5 Work Placement

Caval continues to keep me enthralled.......
Worked in digitising this morning and the time just flew by. I think I did ok, Emily seemed happy with what I was doing. Using the BSE program to make the pages read properly, and there were a lot of pages....with lots (and lots) of appendices...I thought I was nearly finished when I got to the bibliography, but nnoooo there were still over 50 pages to go...
After lunch I got to talk to Katura, who is in charge of all of the MK stuff. MK provide the library industry with self service and return sorting systems, and Caval is the Australian distributor - Katura is the helpdesk contact at the moment, she also is a major contributor to any tenders, quotes,etc., for the MK products.
The MK website is in German, so I can't put up a link, but here is a link to 2 youtube videos for the products:
MK Sorting systems
MK Lib Dispenser

And here is one from the Caval website for a full overview of the MK sorting system :
MK System overview

Katura also has a library background, and worked in the CSIRO for 22 years, in a variety of departments and in a variety of positions, but is very keen on working in project management.

I spent the last hour of the day with the IT guys, talking to them about their typical (?) day - so I could at least get some sort of idea of what they do. Typical tech dudes!

What I really pick up from this placement is that the people all sort of evolved into their positions as the company grew and evolved. And it is a continuing process, with things changing all the time.

Till tomorrow..........



No comments:

Post a Comment