Thursday 21 August 2014

Day 4 Work Placement

Oh my goodness, such a long day today.
Busy though, no time to get bored.
Today I worked with Deb, Nicole and Eva. Lovely ladies.
I was working in the end-processing area today, which is basically :

  1. Check the customers work manual for instructions
  2. Checking the books are in the Aleph system
  3. Create spine labels
  4. Print spine labels
  5. Attach barcode
  6. Attach spine labels
  7. Insert rfid strips
  8. Cover
Some customers don't have all of these steps done, some have more, some have less, but this pretty much covers the procedure. Talk about picky! Some customers (libraries) want the text of the label all the way at the top, others not; some want the inside cover stamped, most don't. I only covered a couple of books right at the end of the day, most of the time I was creating the spine labels - I even managed to find one that was incorrect, so good on me for being observant.
Of course, all of these procedures don't take place until the cataloguing is finished.

Deb has been at Caval for about 7 years, Nicole 6 years, and Eva 3. Eva has a library background, but decided she didn't enjoy the front desk side when technology became a large part of the job. So she is quite happy covering the books (she's the guru of covering), she doesn't like to get involved with the computer side of things. Fair enough - it is one of the things we've been talking about when we discuss the future of libraries / librarians - how the need for computer literacy is paramount for anyone in the library industry. Good on her for seeing how it was changing and making the decision which was right for her.

Thankfully I'm not working tomorrow. I really need to catch up with home stuff, and some Keep Quilting stuff too! I got Charles to drop off the orders at the Post Office today, but he doesn't really like doing that. Dinner is in the oven, and I think I'm done for the day!

Till next week,




No comments:

Post a Comment